PSKC Facebook

Sunday, January 9, 2011

More Than A Gym....


The big 3-0 happened over the weekend, and I thought I was going to spend a nice quiet weekend at the ranch, just another day nothing special. I'm not one to put much excitement into birthdays and didn't really broadcast the fact that my birthday was today.....well other people had other things in mind.

It started with Saturday morning's Pain Clinic workout. After the workout ended the crew got together and brought in a surprise cake for me and everyone. But before we could get our cake on, the birthday boy had to receive the customary PSKC b-day gift..BURPEES. One burpee for each year..
on my way to 30 burpees

The fact anyone even remembered my birthday was enough, I was truly surprised and honored they went out of their way to get me a cake. Well... unbeknownst to me that was only the beginning of several more surprises to come later on in the day.

Long story short, over the course of the last several weeks my amazing wife Tia, had been scheming to throw me a surprise birthday party at my favorite watering hole, Port City Pub. As I thought I walked into the Pub,  I was just supposed to have a small dinner with a few friends. As I opened the door, I walked into a jam backed Pub full of family and friends...all there to wish me a Happy Birthday.
the west end of the bar is always the most dangerous end..
I cannot express how truly thankful I am to all you guys who came out to celebrate. It means more to me than you'll ever know.

When I started PSKC, I didn't want a place that was simply another "gym", where you go in, "workout" and leave. At most gyms you're on your own, no guidance....and there isn't a group of people that are willing to suffer and sacrifice alongside with you, who want you to be better.  

The vision I had in mind when I started PSKC was more than just a gym, but a community....that's why we're a CLUB, not a gym. I wanted a group of strong, fun-loving people who are linked together by the common bond of sweat, sacrifice, and smiles. If you've done a "sissy test" with somebody, you've got a friend for life.

And after seeing you all last night, I know without a doubt we're on the right path. (we are hard some training sonsofbitches...and apparently can run an impressive tab as well!) 

What we do is different, hell our language is different (burpees, Turkish Get Ups, AMRAP, kettlebells), but difference is good, when weakness and mediocrity is the norm for our area.
we train our asses off and party our asses off..
So once again thank you guys very much, this without a doubt has been the best birthday yet...it was exactly this time one year ago when I first started teaching kettlebell classes...there is no way I could have ever dreamed we'd be where we are at one year later, with so many people to celebrate with along the way.

You guys are awesome....and I know there is more people out there wanting to join our little "cult". It can be a little intimidating at first, thinking it's "too hard" or "there's no way I could ever do that stuff"....but these people won't let you fail. It will change your life for the good if you let it...

See you guys tomorrow at 6 or 7pm. If you came out on Saturday night, I've got just the cure to get the Miller Lite and Jager out!

No comments:

Post a Comment