PSKC Facebook

Sunday, March 18, 2012

PSKC + Paleo = Transformation

20FEB12 - 16MAR12
If you've been following the blog, by now you know several members from the gym just completed the 25 Day Paleo Challenge, myself included. This was the first time in my life I ever stuck to a strict no cheating way of eating for a lengthy period of time. I wasn't going to challenge the folks from my gym if I wasn't willing to pony up myself.

My whole life I've been a chubby kid at heart. I don't have greek god genetics where I can eat whatever I want,  not exercise and not gain weight. Early on in elementary school let's just say all my jeans said "husky" on them. It wasn't until I started playing football and hit a growth spurt that I started getting more vertical than horizontal.

From high school through college through the military I was always right around 200-205lbs. Always very active and loved working out. Upon exiting the military and moving back home to Portsmouth...I continued to work out and I worked out. But I always ate hard too...I started gaining weight and couldn't figure out why. Here's a photo of me from December 2009 on a cruise...and trust me I was sucking it in. I was around 225+ here...
December 09 ...was trying to suck it in and look way cool...
I had reached my limit and at the same time was asked to start teaching some kettlebell classes at a local gym. If I was going to teach others fitness then I wanted to get my diet together. So starting in 2010 I SLOWLY began to incorporate small changes into my diet. Because quite frankly I had pre-determined I was going to fail any diet plan...I already planted the seed for failure.

Fast forward to August 2010..we opened up PSKC and now the diet began to look more Paleoish....eating the right foods about 65% of the time as time went on I studied/read/learned more about the Paleo diet but still wasn't willing to commit to a true strict test/challenge. Over the course of this time period through opening up the gym and changing to a more healthy way of eating I had dropped 20-30lbs. I was back around my normal 200lbs...but I wanted more...I needed more. I needed to learn and more importantly challenge myself to stick to it. Enter my boy JB...

Paleo Seminar presented by JB and Chas of Practice Crossfit
So we invited Josh Bunch and Chastity to come down and educate myself and other interested folks on how to incorporate Paleo nutrition. After the 3 hour seminar we were armed with the necessary knowledge to begin the journey to a healthier lifestyle.

Feb-20-2012 - Day 1
as you can tell I'm not a morning person
203
In the spirit of full disclosure I was a very bloated 203. Like a typical junkie going into rehab. I went on a raucous 3 day binger. I believe the last thing I eat on Sunday night was a peanut butter buster from DQ!

Through the support and encouragement of fellow PSKCrs I was able to maintain a strict no cheat 25 day Paleo challenge of meats, veggies, nuts, seeds, and water. My staples during this period were hard boiled eggs, grilled meat (any type), fish, spinach, asparagus, mushrooms, onions, some sweet potatoes if I was gearing up for a Crossfit Open workout...and that' pretty much it. After every workout I'd down a protein recovery drink and supplement with fish oil and that' really it. Not sexy nor flashy..but effective. It works next post we will show you pics of Mikey D. He blew everyone out of the water. Mix some high intensity short duration workouts with Paleo eating all while surrounded with an incredible and supportive team that is PSKC and there is no limit to what you can do.  
day 25
193

1 comment:

  1. Awesome my friend. You are leader and an example....jb

    ReplyDelete